Sunday, January 15, 2012

* Metafiction - No prejudice!

" Mom, please! Can't I just buy white powder, and use that? Also, can't I just dye my hair to blond one? Every friends tease me with these, and that's just soooo stressful!! "
Charlie shouted. He really wanted to do those, so that with just hearing his shout, we could know his mind. However, unknowing his mind, his mom responded to him really simply, " You do stop that horrible screaming right now. Do you think you can achieve that? As I told you before, whatever you do, I won't let you to do crazy things, especially that two! So go back to your room, and finish your homework. Plus, if you continue to do that, than I won't buy you any birthday presents! " Oh god. But since Charlie have listened to that for more than 20 times, he didn't responded back to mom usually.

However with that day, it was quite different. He started to cry, with full of his hearts. " Do you on Earth knows my mind?! Do you on Earth knows the kids in school? They always tease me like I have dark skin like junk, and I have this black hair which looks  like witch! Those are just..just..holy cow!! I'm sick of those. I don't want to hear those teases anymore, and also I do not want those kids to judge my self with my outfits!! " Mom was quite surprised and shocked, because she've never seen him angry and shouting to her like that. Thus making her mind to calm down, she replied to him " Then you can show them you ability! You know, you are really good at Math! " But he still shouted to his mom " I tried to, so I worked really hard! But score isn't coming out well than the one who's always having first place, and also they are not even listening to me because of one simple reason, that I have black skin and hair!"

Mom was sad knowing her son's real life at school, since she always thought that her son is having great time in his school. Also, she was sad since her son wasn't proud of his outfit, which she thought was unique, and she gave. " Sonny, than I will go to your school and talk with your teacher, ok? So please calm down..." " Yeah, and I've told to Mrs. Sue for more than 5 times. And she tended like she was listening to me, so I thought that she'll tell that problem to other kids. But, she didn't tell that to any kids, and she started to ignore me more and more than she did in the past!!"

Mom was really sad to know all the truth, and furthermore know that there's still racism and prejudice left in this modern time. But than, one story popped up in her head. The story that she used to hear from her mom and dad, when she was young, and had same problem. " Here sonny, sit next to me. I will tell you one story, who had just same problem with you, Okey?" " No, I won't unless you let me to do what I've told you." " No, you do sit here. Now, would you sit next to me? Since she looked like she's gonna cry, Charlie sat next to her. Then, his mom smiled to him, and told that story.

"Once upon a time, there was a girl with dark hair. Her name was Selena. She was lonely because the other girls all had pale, blond hair. Her mother told her that she was precious and exceptional, not weird and wrong. But she still thought her hair messed up everything. She stuck out. She was always sad. she couldn`t join other girls because she was just different. Selena thought that when her hair`s color change, her life will change too. She always wished her hair to be blond like other girls.One day, a stranger with grayish black hood came to her house. He said, "If you follow me, I can change your hair color. I know a good method." She considered following a stranger and dye her hair, or don`t do that. Finally, she decided. She paid some money from her allowance. She hoped that it would be permanent. The stranger took her somewhere she did not know. Then he took off his hood. His hair was dark like hers, too! Her eyes went big and round. She opened her mouth, but no sound came out. This was the first time she ever saw another person having dark hair. The stranger whispered, "Selena." But Selena couldn`t find her voice. The stranger whispered hoarsely, "Selena." again. Selena finally found her voice. "Who... Who are you? How come you have dark hair, like me?" she said. He responded faintely, "Oh, Selena, I am your father. Didn`t you ever thought how strange it is, you having dark hair but your mother having pale hair? You have my hair. My dark one." Selena said, shuddering by this new fact, "How come I didn`t know you? If you are really my father?" "Because your mother didn`t like my hair. I wore this hood when I met her. I always wore hood. She didn`t know that I had dark hair. Then you were born, and you had dark hair. She was confused, so I had to tell her the truth." Selena asked, "Why did you came here then?", a little hopefully, wishing the answer would be, "Becaused I missed you." The answer was, however, a little different. He answered, "Because I want you to have self-confidence on yourself, and on your hair. I moped around with my hair in my whole life, and I regret it. So I want you not to make mistake I made. Your hair color is really unusual. Your hair makes you special. Without it, you are just an unremarkable common girl. Your hair makes yourself." When Selena heard this, she became really positive. With her father`s words, she was encouraged. She started to like her hair. She smiled and said, "Okay." After that, she asked her father to stay with her mother and herself, and he accepted. Finally, Selena had a whole family, very characteristic, very peculiar, her own family. And they lived happily ever after.'

" Wow, so because of her hair, she found her whole family and have happy life? That's pretty cool. " Mrs. Polly ( Charlie's mom) smiled to him, and told him " Yes, and also, she became really confidence, which later made her to be really popular in her school, and break their prejudice." " I know what you want to tell to me, mom...So you are saying that I shouldn't just avoid that problem but think that my prob..I mean speciality proud, and have confidence with it, right?" " Yes of course, and I'm proud of you that you got to find that by yourself. Also, I want to tell you more. Would you let me to?" Charlie nodded. " People who are having prejudice, are the one who is actually the real weird person. Every people in this Earth, are same. And even though you have you own problem, as I said before everybody in this Earth is same, and have equal chance to develop ourselves! So don't forget that you should always challenge, and be confidence. If you start to be weaker in front of them, than you will get more teases. So be proud of yourself, and think everybody in this Earth equally. You got that? " Charlie nodded like before, but with in more positive mood." Yes mom, and thanks for giving me this speciality to me." " Your welcome, sonny."

And this was the moment, that Charlie broke all the prejudice that he had originally, and found real himself.

1 comment:

  1. Very creative! Very funny! This story was used in some one elses metafiction as well. Maybe you should go looking for it. I can't remember where. Chloe's blog? Anyways, you really seem to enjoy creative writing. I'm glad you had fun with this assignment.

    ReplyDelete